22 September 2011

Retiring Our Flag

Every Friday night at camp, as Scouts, we had the opportunity to properly retire the flag of our great country. Brian, Amber, Les and I all had the opportunity to directly participate in the retiring of the flag. Brian and I both had the honor of calling the ceremony, and Amber, Les, and I all helped in retiring the flags.
This is the ceremony that Brian called and Les participated in. Brian is in the top right corner, and you can just see Les to the left of Brian holding the flag with his head bowed.

After reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag for the final time, it is refolded and prepared for the retiring.

Paying final respects to the flag.



This is the ceremony that I had the privilege to call.

The retiring of our great flag is a humbling ceremony. It quite often brought tears to my eyes. We are so blessed. I am grateful to have had that opportunity at camp. I am also truly grateful that my family had the opportunity to participate so many times, and hope they felt the respect for our country and those who have sacrificed and who are currently fighting for our freedoms.

No comments: