On Friday, Brian thought it would be fun to take the whole family coyote and rabbit hunting. He usually just takes Amber, because he says that the kids have to be 8 years old to go, so the boys were really excited. I have never been able to go, because I always have kids to stay at home with.
Brian doesn't really have enough
camouflage clothes for everyone, so here's Brian and the kids in the
mish-mash of
camo that we have. None of it fits very well, always better to buy big and have it last longer in my opinion!

After a couple of stands of coyote hunting, Brian realized that the "Bad
News Bears" were never going to be able to be quiet and still enough to bring in any coyotes. (Not to mention, he has never brought any in on his own either!) So we decided to wander out through the sagebrush and scare up some rabbits. Since I don't do well when I get up early, I was ready for a nap while they went out after the Easter Bunny the first time. After a good half hour nap, I was ready to go. So, we headed out for a second loop all together, and I saw the only bunny of the day. The only problem...I forgot I had the rifle in my hands and that I could take a shot at it. Brian got ready, but never could spot it before it was gone. I guess that is because I've never hunted before and my mind is on the kids staying safe.
We finally gave up on the bunny, and figured that we better let him live for Easter, so we stopped for lunch. I think that was my favorite part of the day.
The boys ran up and down the big hill that we were stopped by, which wore them out very well for the drive home!

Posing for silly pictures....this never happens on a serious hunting trip...right Grammy!

There was at least one arrowhead right outside the door of the truck where we stopped, I don't think that the second piece is an arrowhead though. Amber was thrilled!

We
just happened to have Chocolate milk bottles left over from breakfast to shoot at while we were stopped for lunch, so Brian pulled out the BB gun to let the kids do a little target practice. While Amber has had a lot of experience shooting, Les and Zak haven't. Les has gone out to shoot the BB gun a few times with Brian, but I think that this might have been Zak's first time.

Les hit the bottles a couple of times!

Amber has it all figured out by now.

When Brian goes hunting with his buddies, they have a road that they have named "Trailer Trash Road" because it
literally looks like someone has taken a few trailers out and blown them up. This is some of what remains of that trash...Brian couldn't resist stopping for a picture.

After we finished hunting, we took the old rail bed road back in to Golden Spike National Monument. On the drive, there is at least one ghost town,
Kelton. All there is left is the
cemetery, some rail siding bridges, and some foundations of old buildings left. The kids were amazed that an old city didn't exist any more. It was kind of sad to see the old
cemetery so run down. But it is fenced in, and so a little protected at least from vehicles. Some of the headstones were out of wood, and obviously very old, some were stone, but falling apart and very weathered and unreadable, and some had been replaced by more recent generations who recognize the significance that their ancestors played in the states history.
We had to stop for one last place to play before we were done. Zak was pretty proud of himself that he could climb through this "huge" arch.

Daddy's kids after playing all day. Thanks for taking us Dad!
1 comment:
What a fun day!
Post a Comment