20 May 2009

How the West Was Really Won

At our school, the 4th grade has been practicing really hard to do a play called "How the West Was Really Won." Because of pre-school graduation tonight, Brian and I went to a dress rehearsal this morning, so we could be to both events. I was amazed. There are a lot of solo parts, and all of the kids did an amazing job. It is a lot bigger production than I ever imagined, and it was done so much better than I ever thought that it would be. Unfortunately, my nice camera is being serviced right now, so the pictures are not so good. I am pretty disappointed. The scenes that Amber was in were really dark and so the pictures are terrible. But I'll post them anyway.

Amber, McLayne & Megan
Started the story off by reading "a letter from out west."

Square Dancers
Told what life was like in the old west


Packing to go west Scene
All these girls had solos in this scene, and they all have awesome voices.

Indians
Some of these girls had solos too, and also did an awesome job.
They told how the Indians were run off of their land by the white man.

"Utah! What a Great Place to Be!"
They told the story of the old state song, and how the new one came to be.

Cast Finale
This year is the last year of teaching for two of our 4th grade teachers. They have taught together for years, and are both retiring this year. They have done this play a few times. This is kind of their grand finale, and it was. It was awesome. I don't think that I saw one kid rolling their eyes, or embarrassed for their part. The kids all sang at the top of their lungs. They loved every minute of it.

We watched the play with the 5th and 6th graders today, and for those of you who know our 5th and 6th grade classes, they can be very disrespectful. They weren't. They loved it too. I think that they were impressed by it all. Wynton started the play off with an amazing solo that caught their attention immediately, and as they say..."The rest is history!"

If anyone gets any better pictures tonight, especially with Amber in, would you PLEASE send me copies!! It would be so appreciated. Thanks.

1 comment:

Amy said...

We are going tonight, so I will try and get you some.