29 September 2009

Stitches and the ER

Yesterday, right after the kids had left for school, I got a phone call from the school saying that Zak had wrecked on his bike, and that the nurse said it needed stitches.

I hurried to the school to find him all cleaned up,
two butterfly bandages on his chin,
and one sad little boy.

The sidewalk that they use to go to school is not very safe in my opinion,
and he had gone over a bump while hitting his brakes to slow down,
and hit a little gravel at the same time.
This is obviously never a good combination.

Les was the only one with him, and although very scared, he was amazing helping Zak out.
He helped Zak up, and then ran to get a crossing guard to help.
Fortunately, the school nurse had just parked, and heard the crying
and came to help. She took him in and got it all cleaned and closed up before I ever got there.

As you can see, his clothes were a little dirty, and bloody.

He was very brave. He never flinched or cried.
He was all done with the crying by the time I got to the school.
This is how they had him lay while they did the stitches,
but he got to watch one of his favorite shows on PBS, so that was a very good distraction.
And this is him after it was all over with his nurse Holly.
She was very good to him.
Later in the evening when we had to change the bandage,
we all got a little peak at the damage.
I forgot to ask the Doctor how many stitches she had to put in,
but there are 8 on the outside.
Because it was so deep, there were several on the inside too.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Yowee! What a tough kid though. It looks like he handled the ER pretty good though. And now he'll have a great scar to show off!

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness! My question for you is how did you handle it? Good job to Les, got to love big brothers.

Robin said...

Well, I did pretty good because I didn't have to rescue him or clean it up. But when I looked at it at the hospital when it was gaping open, I did get a little squeamish.