11 February 2011

Amber's Quilt

I met the designer of this quilt, Natalia Bonner (from Heber) at a conference that I went to with a friend in November. When I saw it, I knew that I had to make this for Amber.

It is done with a Moda Jelly Roll. If you aren't familiar with the Moda Bake Shop pre-cuts, they are essentially a pre-cut dimension of fabric that comes in a collection with one piece of every fabric in a particular line of Moda's fabric. In this case, the jelly roll was a 2 1/2 inch by 44 inch strip of every fabric. So for the smaller squares, I was able to get 2 squares out of every strip and for the larger rectangles, I only got one. So no piece of fabric is in the quilt more than twice. For the flowers, I cut and sewed the strips together, and then cut the circles. It was SO EASY. It is tempting to never cut quilt pieces again, although I know I will eventually.







Natalia has a tutorial for the applique flowers on her blog that made doing the flowers just as easy as the rest of the quilt. It is an applique that doesn't use fusible and you don't have to do any turning. I'll definitely use it again!
This quilt was both fun and easy to do, and I love the way that it turned out.

4 comments:

Jillary said...

That is amazing. I don't have the time or patience for this kind of sewing. Amber's very lucky to have a mom like you.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is SO cute, good job!

Brenda said...

SO SO SO CUTE! Thanks for posting the close-up photos!

Amy said...

GORGEOUS!!! You are so talented.