10 February 2011

Amber's Birthday Surprise!

This year for Amber's 12th birthday, I decided to surprise her by redoing her room.
We bought bedding for her when we moved to our house 10 years ago, and otherwise we have never done anything else for her room. Her bed was a $10 yard sale find, and her dresser and desk were both hand-me-downs. Her room drives me insane, so when I saw a quilt that I wanted to make in November, I knew that I had to do it.

Here is the before picture of her bedroom. You can see why it drives me crazy.
What a MESS!

And here is the after!

I love the way that it turned out. And I have to brag that I am also very proud of the way that the quilt turned out.
I still am going to replace her old dresser when I find one that I like and can afford, but otherwise, it is done.
Now, we just have to "fight" over what things she gets to put back into her room and what gets to stay on the walls.
And here is here face as she walked into her new room and realized what was going on.
But even better, here is the look on her face 10 seconds later when she said, "Where's all my stuff!"

6 comments:

Brenda said...

What a cute room! ANd I love the quilt. Will you take a few close up photos of the quilt so I can see it a little better?

Robin said...

Brenda, if you want to see the "original," go to modabakeshop.com and search for I'm blushing. If you haven't used the Moda bake shop fabric, it is SO easy. I did this quilt all with 2 1/2 inch precut strips. It was a lot of fun!

Natalie said...

She's 12!!!! How'd that happen??

Such a cute room.

Aubry Wilkes said...

OH I LOVE the quilt! Do you take it somewhere to do the detail top stitching? And I love how Brian was captured in that last picture... so fun!

Robin said...

Aubrey, I did take it to a quilter to have it quilted. If I was as fabulous as my Mom and Grandma, I would have done that all by hand, but I'm not really all that interested in doing that part myself. I just love to piece the quilt.

Barbie Mills said...

You were right, both of her faces are priceless! What a great surprise. You really did a great job on the quilt!