20 June 2009

A Drive Through the Everglades

On Tuesday morning, we left Miami to drive up the coast to Disney World. We decided to take the opportunity to drive through the Everglades and try to spot some Gators. Grammy & Gramps told us about a place called Loop Road that we would probably be able to see some. But they also said that when it is dry, the alligators congregate, and when there is lots of rain, they disappear into the water, and you don't see as many. Prior to our arrival in Florida, they had received about 15 days of non-stop rain. So we weren't sure what we might see.

As we drove across Miami, we got stopped at a draw bridge.
The kids thought that was pretty cool.
For our first stop, we stopped at a little bridge.
Immediately, we spotted an alligator.

At the second bridge, I almost stepped on one as it quickly jumped into the water.
I jumped a screamed like a little girl, and Amber ran and hid in the van.
As I had a chance to realize what I had come so close to, it was about 24 inch baby.
It was pretty funny I'm sure.

At one of our first stops, we heard a very loud noise in the grass.
Up came this huge bird, and flew away.
Grammy thinks it was probably a heron.

This was a turtle in a puddle that we drove through.
He is lucky that we saw him before we drove right over him.

This alligator crossed the road right in front of us.
He is about 3 feet long.

A gator in the water.

And one just off the road in the trees.

After the Everglades, we drove up the coast. We took the freeway most of the way, but then at Palm beach, we moved over to drive up Highway 1.
In West Palm Beach, we stopped for a break at a park right on the coast.
It was called Currie Park.
It was obviously in a very nice part of town.

Here is a few houses across the water on an island.

And I had to take at least one picture of a palm tree

These were some pretty cool condos that we drove by while driving up Highway 1.

Brian and the kids on the Pier at Currie Park.

And the sunset from the Burger King parking lot that we stopped at for dinner in Juno.

What a fun day, and a beautiful drive up the coast. I think I could move here, and live in one of those houses without any complaints! It was beautiful!

No comments: