I am finding that I use beans more and more and I sneak them into recipes because of the nutrition they provide. But I get sick of buying them. She posted how to make and freeze your own, so I tried it. I am so excited to use them. I may just have to start stalking up on the #10 cans of beans from the church now!
18 November 2009
Beans
My cousin has an amazing blog of the recipes that she makes. She started it as a way to share her Gluten Free recipes with others who have celiac disease. Recently she did a post about how to make your own beans to use in place of canned beans.
I am finding that I use beans more and more and I sneak them into recipes because of the nutrition they provide. But I get sick of buying them. She posted how to make and freeze your own, so I tried it. I am so excited to use them. I may just have to start stalking up on the #10 cans of beans from the church now!
My favorite part is that I know exactly what is in them, I know that they are low in sodium, and have no preservatives. (No, I am not a fanatic about those things, but if I can make something with little to no effort that doesn't have them, why not?) Total, this took about a day and a half to do, but only about 10-15 minutes of my time total. Just the way I like projects!
I am finding that I use beans more and more and I sneak them into recipes because of the nutrition they provide. But I get sick of buying them. She posted how to make and freeze your own, so I tried it. I am so excited to use them. I may just have to start stalking up on the #10 cans of beans from the church now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
yeah!!! You should try this recipe:
http://creatingfromscratch.blogspot.com/2008/11/rocky-mountain-bean-storm.html
It is a family favorite. You can make it with or without beans!
That sounds really good, but no way at our house....it has rice. Enough said!
Another GREAT way to sneak beans into recipes: blend them up and use them instead of oil in cakes/cupcakes/brownies. It makes them a little chewier and a lot healthier! Use black beans for chocolate, white ones for white cake, etc. I do this with my students at school and they actually like them a lot, even knowing what is in them.
Post a Comment