For those of my readers that don't know what a pecan log is, it is one of the few treats that my Grandma makes, and she does it every year at Christmas. I'm pretty sure that with her health the way it is, she will never make them again. It has a center of penuche, with an outer covering of caramel, and then it is rolled in chopped pecans to coat and stick to the caramel. As a child I didn't care for them, but they are one of my favorite, although rare, treats now.
What a disaster this turned out to be. I dipped the first penuche ball in the caramel, and then in the pecans. The caramel seemed to be a little soft, so I decided to dip all of the balls in the caramel, and then go back and roll them in the pecans.
I also learned last year that I shouldn't put the hot caramel directly onto my marble slab because it hardens too quickly and won't come off. So, I thought I had a brilliant idea, and put them on wax paper that was on top of my marble. BAD IDEA. The wax paper stuck to the caramel, and just tore and stayed on the caramel when I tried to pull it off.
So then I decided to put them in a warm oven to soften the caramel just enough to remove them from the wax paper. This worked OK, and I was mostly able to roll them round again after pulling them off.
1 comment:
I have no suggestion, however, my personal favorite part of the pecan log is the caramel and center. So I think they are perfect!
Post a Comment