15 March 2010

It's here!

I love this time of year...Yes, I actually love the change to daylight saving time. And no, it's not because I get to wake up and hour earlier--anyone who knows me knows that waking up early is brutal for me and everyone around me. I feel so much better. I feel like I get my day going better, and have more time to accomplish everything I need to do.

I also think that I suffer mildly from seasonal depression. The more daylight I can get, the more productive I am and the better I feel. It obviously also has a little bit to do with the better weather and the desire to get outside and move.

As I have been trying to get myself more healthy, I have struggled with running. I just can't seem to get the endurance to run very long or very far (long and far are relative here.) From nothing to anything more than 3-4 minutes would be nice. I have been walking for an hour a day at a speed between 3.8 and 4.2 mph, but can't transition to running. I have been trying to figure this out and find a reason that my endurance while running is not increasing, and it all came together today.

I ran for 30 minutes straight today and did 2 1/2 miles and then continued to walk at speed for the remainder of the hour. Finally. Now, I hope that I am not only able to maintain, but improve. For now my goal is to be able to do a 5K without stopping, and then I would like to increase my speed a little before I extend the distance.

My ultimate goal is to be able to do a small triathlon with Brian, Amber and Les. The one that they did in September was fairly small and in a controlled environment. Maybe not this summer, but at least by next summer. I have started swimming this last week, and although I have so far to go, I did much better than I expected. We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

Barbie Mills said...

Yay! I've never been a runner, so I'm pround of you.

Brenda said...

Way to go on the running! You're awesome!

deena said...

Nice job on the 10 lbs. That's awesome. Good luck with the Biggest Loser. That's some serious cash. Good luck with the running too. Way to go.
Congrats to Les on his baptism and to Marsha on her little one. Much is happening and I'm missing it...stuck in busyness and projects! That's life I guess!