22 December 2008

Utah State Flag

Apparently back in October, when Amber's 4th grade class was studying government, Amber asked why the school only has a US flag, and not a Utah one also. She asked if she could write a letter to Roy's representative to see if he could get them one. Well, she proceeded to write the following letter to him...

Dear Rep. Greenwood,

Mrs. Becraft's fourth grade class, and especially me would like to get our school a state flag and I was wondering if you could get us one. We would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Amber Simmons

When I read the letter, I thought that was all there was to it. I thought that Mrs. Becraft asked all of the kids to write a letter. I was wrong. Today, Representative Greenwood came to the school to present a flag to Amber to give to the school.

He talked to them about what the different things on the state flag represent.

With the flag, she got a certificate of authenticity, that included the flag's serial number. It also stated that the flag was flown over the State Capitol Building on Dec 5th, 2008, and it was signed by Gov. Huntsman, and Lieutenant Gov., Gary Herbert. (Hmm, can't get that one the right way, and I don't have time to fight with it) She gets to keep the certificate.
And then he gave Amber the flag. They had planned to go put it out on the flagpole to fly it today, but they weren't able to get the clips to do that yet.

This is Amber with her Teacher, Mrs. Becraft, and Representative Greenwood.

Pretty cool Amber, what a good idea to ask our local representative for a flag!

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is great Amber, it's amazing what you can get by just asking...

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing that for our school Amber! Maybe the PTA should try to get the flag it's own pole....