President's Day at our house always means a trip to the school district's Environmental Center. The guy who runs the place does an open house for all district employees to bring their families and play.
This year, Zak decided that he was going to try cross-country skiing. I got him all ready, and out onto the groomed trail, and off he went. With almost no instruction at all, he took off. He did a loop that was about 1/2 mile long, and did a good job. The few times that he did fall, he was able to get himself back up without getting his ski's tangled. On the faster down-hill slopes, he just crouched down to help him balance, and went right down.

Amber probably skiied a couple of miles, and did some much longer loops. She is really pretty good at the cross-country skiing.

I, on the other hand, am no good on skis. I do okay as long as it is flat and I don't have any speed, but once there is a down-hill, and I start going a little faster, I freak out. I could never be a down-hill skier.

The boys love to sled and snowboard on the road.

And bury themselves in the snow!

Amber, Les and Brian also snow shoed up to the top of a small mountain to look over the valley (Brian forgot to take a picture of that!) Zak was having a hard time, so he and I turned back for a sweet roll.

Les also did an awesome job on the skis. He went around the loop 3 or 4 times, but then he wanted to snowboard while Brian and Amber did a big loop. I didn't get to watch him much, but he took off so fast that I couldn't keep up with him.

To finish off the day, we jump on our sleds and ride them the 1/2 mile or so back down to the parking lot. It is insane, and tons of fun.
We always look forward to this day trip. It is so much fun. The kids love to have something different to do in the snow, and the sweet rolls are always worth the hike up the hill! Thanks Dave!
3 comments:
Fun Fun! I like cross country skiing, but it isn't the easiest. So good for Zak. That's impressive!
Guys it looks like you had so much fun! I'm glad we were able to bring you your camera. But I'm sorry Matt and I couldn't come up and have fun with you. I'm so impressed with all the kids you guys are amazing! Love you!
It looks like fun! If I were more ambitious I'd try to get my family involved in something like that! Glad you had a great time!
Post a Comment