May I start by saying, I HATE HOUSEWORK (I know, you've heard this before on other posts). I find nothing enjoyable about it. I will usually find almost anything else to do before I start my housework. But I got a bug the other day after reading an Organize Junkies blog. I knew that I needed to clean out what we call "the computer room" (now, I note that we haven't used the computer in this room for a year since we got the new computer, and put it in a more central part of the house.) This room has become our dumping grounds for everything that there isn't a home for. I had to get it cleaned out so that the window guys could install the window. And I was determined to not just scoot the junk out of the way so they could get through. Before I started cleaning, I could only walk in the room about 2 feet before I had to start climbing over things to get to what I needed. So last week, I gutted the room, I took everything out. I didn't have time to empty the closet, but I did empty everything else in the room.
Before I started, it looked like this:

I know,
embarrassing huh. I probably shouldn't post pictures and talk about these
scary parts of my life in such a public place (
hehehe).

But, I guess that is more incentive to fix the darn problem!

We got rid of the computer and computer desk, which opened the room up a lot. I organized or found a home for everything that I kept. I am always disgusted with the junk I find when I clean out, and wonder why I didn't throw it away in the first place. Now, some of the things are stacked so it isn't easy to get to everything, but that was so it would be out of the way of the window guys, and easy to move out when we put in the new carpet. And I can now see the floor in this room!

I still have 3 boxes of stuff to go through, mostly pictures and stuff to file, but I am happy that it is mostly done. It is such a relief.

And now, as much as I hate the thought of so much cleaning, I am excited to have to do this to every room in my house with all the work we are going to do this summer. It will be so nice to be forced to clean out everything, and then be able to see the changes as the new paint and mouldings go up, and the carpets go in.
Slowly, but surely, I am going to conquer this mess I refer to as home. I really do hate clutter, and things out of place, but I think I must hate cleaning even more!
4 comments:
I've decided it isn't that I am not organized or even that I hate housework, it is that I want it to be done perfect and stay that way. Since that is impossible why try?
I'm trying to change that slowly.
I am working on this same task and I couldn't agree more. It is awful! Let me know if you get any tips on how to make it go better.
We all have our piles. And for me it's just that, many pile throughout the house. Tops of dressers are the worst. If you discover the secret to NOT piling, let me know.
Hmmm, your before pictures look pretty familiar :) That's so exciting about the new carpet and windows. The windows look great!
Post a Comment